80/20 Rule

Killing Time on ClockI think almost everyone has heard of the 80/20 rule, also called the Pareto Principle. At it’s simplest form, it says that 80% of effects come from 20% of the causes. For example, in business, 80% of your profits come from 20% of your work. That means that the other 80% of the time that you are working, only contributes 20% of your profit.

That allows for an amazing amount of efficiency savings if you can figure out which areas you can carve out of your workload.  If you could just carve out half of the less productive 80% of your work without carving out any of your key 20%, you could either spend more time on your productive part or reclaim a little downtime to recharge.

As part of my self improvement area for this week (focus), I’m trying to carve away a bit of my less efficient 80%. To be honest, I think that number is valid and I’m carving into it. I can already see some extra time opening up.

One Response to “80/20 Rule”

Leave a Reply

  • (will not be published)

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>